October 2, 2019 | The Bier Baron Tavern & DC Comedy Loft
It was the first Wednesday of October, and Dupont Circle's Bier Baron Tavern and DC Comedy Loft once again played host to DC's favorite storytelling show with a twist. Despite the unseasonably high temperatures, fans and first-timers alike flocked to the Dupont Circle watering hole with one singular objective in mind -- spotting the storyteller with the fraudulent fable.
One could hear a pin drop as the quiet crowd contemplated a compelling quartet of tall tales from our set of suspicious storytellers:
- Did Robin learn the cold hard facts of politics and public apathy when he failed to "get out the vote" for his candidate in the Texas gubernatorial race?
- Did a dormitory shower mishap lead to unintended public nudity for Lauren and a full-frontal surprise for her college crush?
- Was Chris's flashy and fiery boss living a secret life as a gangster?
- Did Tori agree to an all expenses paid two-week holiday in Greece with a woman she barely knew and didn't particularly care for?
A quick straw poll of the room prior to intermission revealed that the audience was flat-out stumped. Would the interrogation provide the insights and revelations required to help them separate fact from fiction?
- How was it possible that "Carlos" -- the auto mechanic and apathetic voter that Robin tried to get to the polls -- was always home whenever he canvassed the neighborhood?
- Why didn't Lauren's roommate bother to mention that the boy Lauren had a crush on was heading over for a study session in the dorm room they shared as she unknowingly headed off to the shower?
- If Chris's summer job really did entail recording conference sessions and copying them onto tapes to sell to attendees, could he explain the method for safeguarding master cassettes from being recorded over?
- How exactly did Tori get two weeks off on such short notice to vacation in Europe with a budding frenemy?
Did the hilarious Q&A session do the trick? Was the audience any closer to pointing the finger at a certain suspect? A post-interrogation straw poll and some "man on the street" interviews would demonstrate that the interrogation had definitely turned the tide of suspicion and it all tilted in favor of Lauren.
Even the professional political pollster sitting in the audience couldn't have predicted a vote so lopsided. Lauren bested her nearest competitor, Chris, by ten votes. Robin and Tori weren't even close.
A mighty drumroll echoed off the beer can adorned walls of the venue. The storytellers danced too and fro, teasing the uneasy crowd until they could take it no more. And then, to the delight of the majority of the crowd, the night's liar stepped forward.
Lauren stood before them, a Hopeless Liar spotted. Her tale of college showers gone awry and being busted in the buff had been exposed as a dirty lie.
Good job sleuthers, the losing streak is over... for now.